Virginia Beach is centrally located on the beautiful sandy shores of Virginia, on the East Coast where land meets the Atlantic Ocean. When driving by car, there are many routes you can take depending on your location.
Virginia Beach directions from the West:
- I-64E – Interstate 64 is the most popular choice when driving to Virginia Beach from any of the States to the mid-west. Be mindful of the digital signs advising the length of time and traffic being experienced to the beach. As you’re driving in the Newport News city limits, you’ll have the option of taking I-664 as a potential shortcut, depending on which is faster. The signs are pretty accurate and we suggest following them. It could save you a lot of time during the busy tourist season.
- US-460 – As a local, I haven’t spent much time on 460. My recommendation is to use the Interstate or if you’re in the mood, travel Route 58.
- US-58 – This is a very scenic drive but beware of speed traps. Route 58 has quite a reputation. Set your cruise control and do not deviate from the speed limit for any reason on this highway.
Directions to Virginia Beach from the North:
- I-85 – I-85 and I-95 are some of the fastest ways to drive down. However, the views aren’t as nice and depending on the day, could be slower than some of the back roads. Be sure to use your GPS with traffic alerts.
- Route 17 – This is a very popular road for people looking to avoid driving over The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel but wants the scenic ride before their vacation at VA Beach.
- Route 13 – Many people coming from the North like taking Route 13 down to Virginia Beach. It’s an incredibly scenic route and a very relaxing drive. It’s also quite an adventure driving over The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
VA Beach directions from the South:
- I-95 – This is the most popular route to Virginia Beach from the South.
- Route 17
- Route 13
If you are flying, we recommend looking at all the Virginia Beach Airports. You can definitely save a lot of money by choosing one that is a little further away.
Have any tips for the road? Be sure to let us know or comment below.